CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rhubarb Pie


I love summer, and with the coming of summer, is the coming of Rhubarb back in the grocery stores. "What is rhubarb?" you may ask. Well, as I told the Giant cashier who questioned me about this funny red celery, it is a very sour plant (fruit? veggie??) that when you add sugar, makes delicious desserts. Rhubarb cheescake, rhubarb sauce over ice cream, and my favorite, rhubarb pie. So, if you have never had it, give it a try! Even with the sugar, it is still tart, which is the best, and a nice scoop of vanilla icecream is the best.

Rhubarb Pie
4-5 c. of rhubarb cut into 1 in chunks
1 2/3 c. sugar (more or less depending on the amount of rhubarb you have)
1/3 c. flour
pinch of salt

Mix all above ingredients together and let sit in bowl for 15 minutes. Then put into pie crust, top with some dabs of butter, cover with remaining pie dough, slit and sugar the top and bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Serve warm or cooled with vanilla ice cream.

I usually use my mom's "foolproof pie crust" but thought I would try a new one this time. I will give you both.

Mom's other crust

2 c. flour
3/4 c. butter
<3/4 tsp salt
mix together with pastry blender to crumbly
add 5-7 tbs ice water a little bit at a time til it forms a nice dough, not too sticky. Do not handle a lot, but roll out quickly.

Foolproof Pie Crust
(this one makes enough for 2 bottom and top crusted pies, but it is easy to work with, and you can freeze extra to use anaother time)

4 c. flour
1 3/4 c. shortening
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp salt
1 Tbs vinegar
1 egg
1/2 c. water
Blend flour, shortening, sugar and salt with pastry blender. Combine vinegar, egg, and water in small bowl and mix well. Add to flour mixture and blend gently. Mold into a ball and chill for 15 minutes. Roll out as desired on floured counter.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm so glad that you posted this. I love Rhubarb Pie, but I've never attempted making it. Maybe this will be my year.

kaelene said...

Tiana you are amazing. Thank you so much for posting this. Rhubarb pie is one of my all time favorite things. My mom used to make it all summer long when I was growing up. Your picture looks delicious and makes me want to go pick some up right now. Have a great week!