CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Asian Slaw

This is one of my favorites. My friend Angie Stowe (who used to live here) used to make it all the time (we ate dinner at their house A LOT) and she gave me the recipe before they moved, about 2 years ago. I finally just made it last month because it called for things I usually don't buy. Just as good as I remember. To make it a meal just add some grilled chicken. Mmm I'm hungry!

Tips: This makes a LOT of dressing. What I suggest is make the dressing, and then add a little at a time, tossing the cabbage as you go til you get it to your liking. I jarred and saved the rest to use on another salad (chinese chicken anyone?). It is super tasty. Also, due to the fact that sesame seeds bought in the spice aisle of the grocery store are a rip off (I am looking for a place where I can buy them in bulk cheap. tips?) I added sliced almonds instead. I also used a salad shooter to shred my lettuce, otherwise just slice thin with a butcher knife.

Asian Slaw

8 C. cored and shredded cabbage
4 green onions- white and light green parts chopped
2 med size carrots grated (or more)
1 c. canned mandarin oranges drained

Dressing
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. rice vinegar
3/4 c. canola oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/3 c. sugar
2 tbs toasted sesame oil
2 tbs sesame seeds for garnish

In large bowl combine cabbage, carrots, onions and oranges

In small bowl whisk together dressing. Toss cabbage mix and dressing together. Garnish with sesame seeds before serving.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Okay... I am excited to try this. Maybe this is a dumb question...but what exactly is slaw? The recipe calls for 8 c. of cored and shredded slaw..is it salad greens... or cabbage...or ? Thanks.

Tiana said...

Sorry, did I not write cabbage? It's cabbage. I got a big head, and that was just over 8 cups. otherwise it is 1 1/2 small heads.