CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken



Okay Rachelle, here is CJ's sweet and sour recipe. I don't know about you guys, but we love American Chinese food, but are too cheap to order takeout. So, we make it ourselves. CJ found this recipe online when I was sick pregnant with Ellie and not cooking. I didn't try it the first few times he made it (for obvious reasons of not wanting to be trying it again a few hours later), but now it is a favorite of the whole family. I love to serve it with alot of steamed broccoli (I steam it with the rice) and this time I made the fried rice to go with it. One of these days I will go all out and make my mother-in-laws spring rolls too. I will have to do that in the summer, however, when we are really active and can burn of all that oil.


Notes on the recipe. Don't add all the soy sauce at once, do a little at a time in case you don't like it too strong. For the pineapple juice, just buy a can of pineapple, use that juice, and then I like to put chunks of pineapple in the sauce. I also cut my meat pretty small to make sure it cooks all the way. Enjoy!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Batter:
1 egg
1/3 c. milk
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
mix well and then add pork or chicken, cut to bite size pieces.
(this amount of batter will do about 2 chicken breasts, depending on the size)
Using fork to take pieces out, put in pan of hot oil to fry til golden brown. Take out and put on plate with paper towel.

Sauce:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. pineapple juice (I use more)
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 c. water

2 Tbs cornstarch (or more, just mix with a little water, and add to boiling sauce til thickens)
Simmer sauce while you cook meat.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

I'm so glad you poasted this! It looks delicious and I can't wait to try it out.

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

I made this one finally when we had the missionaries over! We all loved it. What do you think would happen if I added a little ketchup in the sauce? Maybe I'll try it and see. Thanks!