CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Spinach Lasagna


I don't know about you guys, but I love Italian cuisine. My favorite combination is spinach and tomato sauce. I love lasagna, and have been looking for a good recipe. I found this one, and was excited, because it didn't have expensive ingredients, and was healthier then most other recipes. So, today I gave it a shot.

My impressions: We loved it.
Things that I will do different next time:
Cut down the spinach. I love spinach, but it was a bit too much. I will probably do 1 to 1 1/2 pkgs next time. Also, I will thaw it first, and do a quick squeeze to get out some excess liquid. Not all, but most. Also, this makes A TON! We barely made a dent in it. I would either cut the recipe in half, or just make two smaller pans and freeze one (before cooking it). I ended up freezing a large portion of it, to have another day. Also, a good tip would be to not fall asleep while it's in the oven, and be so dead tired that when your husband tells you the timer rang you apparently acknowledge him before falling back asleep, but then wake up 15 minutes later, having no recollection of the conversation. It still tasted good.

Spinach Lasagna

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped
spinach
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups non-fat cottage cheese
1 (8 ounce) package part skim mozzarella
cheese, shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg
8 ounces lasagna noodles

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large pot over medium heat saute spinach, onion, oregano, basil and garlic in the olive oil. Pour in spaghetti sauce and water; simmer 20 minutes. In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and egg.
3. Place a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Place 4 uncooked noodles on top of sauce and top with layer of sauce. Add 4 more noodles and layer with 1/2 sauce and 1/2 cheese mixture, noodles and repeat until all is layered, finishing with sauce.
4. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 55 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

0 comments: