CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fried Rice

First off, I would like to say that I am excited to join the blog! I love to cook and find new recipes. I have muchos to share, and hope they will be helpful.

I don't know about you guys, but I always make too much rice. This is a variation on a dish I used to make for Ches alot when he was younger. He loved it, and still does! Now it is a favorite side dish. I used to just make it up as I went, but then one day I found this recipe and tried it, and success! I loved it. It had the idea to put carrots in, which was a big hit! I hope you enjoy it. If you are interested and into chinese food, I can give you CJs recipe for sweet and sour chicken. I am afraid it is a fried food, so it is more of a special treat then a healthy meal, but we love it! Just as good, if not better then restaurant dishes.

Japanese Style Fried Rice

2 cups cooked rice (*left over rice is the best)(Rice must be cold, slightly hard, like old rice gets)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped carrot (I put in 1/2 plus cup)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I used 1/2 or more of frozen peas)
1/3 cup diced ham/pork (thickly sliced deli ham works)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp vegetable oil

PREPARATION:
Put a wok or a pan on high heat. Add oil to the pan. Wisk the eggs in a small bowl. Put the eggs in the heated pan and scramble very quickly. Stop the heat and remove the scrambled eggs from the pan into a dish. Put the pan on high heat and add more oil. Saute vegetables and ham until soft. Add garlic salt and chicken bouillon. Add rice and stir well. Add the scrambled egg that was cooked earlier to the rice mixture and mix together. Turn the heat down to low, add soy sauce and stir quickly. Stop the heat right away and serve.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

These both sound so good. I am really excited to try them. Just curious... what do you usually serve with the fried rice...is it the sweet and sour recipe you mentioned?? I would like the recipe even if it is fried - or any other ideas you might have to make a complete meal.

Rachelle said...

Also is it brown rice, white?

Tiana said...

I just used white because I didn't have any brown, buy you can use either. Since I cut up ham in it, it was quite filling and made a meal. You could also serve it with the sweet and sour chicken. I will post that recipe soon. I also have my mother-in-laws recipe for fabulous egg rolls that would go nicely with it as well.

Rachelle said...

I loved this. We had it last night and I served it with potstickers from Costco. (It is only 7 grams of fat for 5 potstickers). Anyway... thanks... it was good. Next time I will probably leave out the garlic salt.