CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

Hidden Veggie Chili and Corn bread


I have always wanted to make chili, just never got around to doing it. Finally, one day I decided to go for it. I looked over several different recipes, picked out things I thought would be good, and came up with my own. Can I just say it turned out FABULOUS! I loved it, CJ loved it, Ches has yet to try it (he was sick when I made it). Also, one of my favorite things to do when I cook is to sneak veggies in and see if CJ notices. Not that CJ is anti-vegetable or anything, but if I told him I was putting more veggies into this chili then beef, he probably would have protested. He didn't even know I put any in, though I think it just added to the great flavor. I may never go back to canned chili again!!

Sorry, I am taking off this recipe for now. I have modified it several times, and am kind of turning it into a signature dish. Maybe someday I will be ready to share the recipe again, but right now I am not.

My favorite cornbread

This is a recipe I tweaked a little to get it nice and moist. Just remember not to overcook it!

Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
4 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 c. milk
2 eggs
6 Tbs melted butter (again, I use smart balance spread)

Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and beat 1 min. Pour into greased 9x9 pan (I use a glass dish) Bake at 425 for 15-20 min. Serve immediately.

1 comments:

Elaine said...

Do you ever replace any of the melted butter or oil in recipes with applesauce? That's the trick I use to reduce fat. I always cut the butter or oil in half in quick breads, cake mixes, brownies, etc. and then add the remaining amount as applesauce. I don't think you can taste the difference, plus you get a few more vitamins. You can also use fat free sour cream, but it changes the texture a bit--although not in a bad way. I've never tried cooking with smart balance. I'll have to look into that.